Valentine's Day Is Overrated

I've never liked Valentine's Day. It's one of those weird "holidays" that I just don't get. I love my husband and we tell/show each other all the time. I don't need a holiday to force me to buy overpriced chocolates and flowers.

I remember when my husband and I were approaching our first Valentine's Day together (14 years ago!). I told him not to buy me anything and not to plan a night out. He of course thought I was lying but I was totally serious. So when Valentine's Day rolled around and he bought me diamond stud earrings, I was actually a little disappointed. Don't get me wrong, the earrings were beautiful and I still wear them 14 years later, but I really meant it when I said I didn't want anything. Since then we've "skipped" Valentine's Day. Let me explain why.

To me, Valentine's Day is so overrated. Flower prices shoot through the roof (trust me you can get them the next day half off), chocolates, jewellery, romantic getaways. While these are all wonderful, I would much much rather receive them as a surprise on a totally random day through the year, not on a forced holiday. I mean, I don't want my husband to feel like he has to buy me something or take me to dinner just because its February 14th (and vice versa since love and relationships aren't one sided).

Has your husband ever gone to the grocery store on a random day during the year and come home with surprise flowers?? Now those are the BEST! When it's not expected it feels so much more meaningful for me. Or have you ever been shopping and found something you just knew your husband/partner etc would love and totally surprised them? It's such a great feeling!!

Don't get me wrong I love chocolate and flowers just not when they are expected on a commercialized holiday :)

Check out this photo of us from way back when. We look like babies!


No comments