FIFO Life Misconceptions

FIFO- Fly In Fly Out. This is the life we lead now, meaning my husband travels for work. That also means I'm solo parenting the kiddos for a certain amount of days at a time while he's away working. This lifestyle isn't for everyone BUT it works for our family. That's the beauty of life and families. We're all different and have different living situations. What works for one family doesn't work for another, and thats totally OK!
However, one of the frustrating parts about FIFO life is the amount of negative comments people like dish out about the situation. 

"I don't know how you do it" 
"I would never be able to do that"
"I love my husband too much to be able to do it"
"I would live in a cardboard box before I'd live that life"
"Aren't you worried about cheating?"

There's many different reasons why families chose FIFO Life. Maybe it's financial, lack of local employment, to care for a sick loved one, whatever the reason is...that's your business! 

YES it is hard. Being the sole care giver for days/weeks at a time isn't easy but you find a routine and after awhile it's just second nature.
YES is gets lonely (for both of us). Thankfully technology is in our favour and we can talk/ Facetime. YES I love my husband more than anything and YES we still have a great relationship. NO I'm not worried at all about cheating, that can happen living in the same house every single day. Trust me, if your unhappy in your relationship it will likely fail regardless of where you live. FIFO isn't going to end your relationship. If anything for me I feel it makes us stronger. Absence makes the heart grow fonder type of thing. 

Do the kids miss him? Absolutely, but again here's the thing. They get to see him and spend more quality time with him then they would if he worked a typical 9-5 job. We get multiple days off at a time to do things together as a family, and we definitely take advantage of the time we have together. 

At the end of the day, all families are different. Just like people, we come in all shapes and sizes. No 2 families are the same and no 2 situations are the same.
You do what you need/want to do and what works for your family. It's nobody else's business. As long as you are happy with your situation, thats all that matters. Keep doing your thing!

Do you life the FIFO life? Leave a Comment below on what you wish people knew about FIFO! I'd love to hear from you :)

No comments