The Elf Is Coming!

It's almost that time of year again. Like it or not, The Elf on the Shelf is coming! My Facebook feed has been plastered with Elf memes lately and people how have a serious dislike for that thing. I actually LOVE the Elf and I have no shame in admitting it.

I first heard of this Elf when my daughter was 2.5 years old. I saw the posts circulating and decided it would be a fun little tradition for us to start. I still remember the look on her face (I got it on video) when she saw our Elf Holly in the tree for the first time. It was pure magic. Glistening eyes, smile from ear to ear. It's the same reaction every single year. It never gets old!

Now our "Elf" doesn't do any crazy antics, or make messes (this momma does not have time to make a mess AND then be the one to clean it up night after night) BUT Kudos to the moms and dads who do those things (I love seeing the pics!). It's just a personal preference of mine to keep it simple.

Our Elf Holly arrives every year on December 1st and hangs out with us until Christmas Eve when she returns to her home in the North Pole. Each night she finds new hiding spots around the house (unless of course one of us forgets to move it, in which we say she must really like that hiding spot!)
Every morning the kids bound out of bed so fast and rush around the house trying to find her. Again pure magic! Watching how excited they get each morning trying to find her just melts my heart.

One thing I don't do with the Elf is associate it with behaviour. It is not a tool to get my kids to "be good". She does not report back to Santa on whether or not you are "good" or "bad" because it's just not my parenting style. Instead our Elf hangs out with us and watches the fun traditions we have, and sees all the kind things we do for others leading up to Christmas.

Sure it's a bit of work moving her each night but to see the smile it puts on my children's faces....it's 100% worth it to me and I will continue this tradition for as long as I can.




No comments