Christmas Birthdays

I still remember the day I found out I was expecting my second (hell I still remember the first like it was yesterday too). I don't think you ever forget those amazing moments.
April 18th 2016, which made my due date...December 26, 2016. A Christmas baby! I was over the moon excited. There's 6 years between my children, as it took us longer than we thought to get pregnant.

When we announced to everyone, thats when the comments started rolling in.
"Oh no, poor baby will be born around Christmas", " Oh what a sin to have a birthday that close to Christmas", "oh their birthday will be overshadowed by Christmas" and on and on and on. I was shocked that people would actually say this to someone and I was also shocked that people actually thought these things. I've even seen on birth forums comments on how to "avoid a Christmas baby"! So crazy!

Every. Single. Child is a blessing. They are all miracles no matter when they are born and having a Christmas baby was absolutely incredible.

As my due date approached, it was decided that I would have another scheduled C Section. My first was a footling breech baby and baby #2 was in the exact same position. The doctor gave me the date of December 15, 2016. 10 days before Christmas. I had hoped for a VBAC but was excited that I knew an exact date when baby would arrive (anyone who's had a c section i'm sure can relate to that!) I had everything prepped and ready, all the presents were wrapped, tree was up (in November I'm always early), childcare arrangements were made. We were ready to meet our newest member of the family.

December 15, 2016 at 9:01am our baby boy arrived!

It was such a magical time of year to have a baby. The atmosphere inside the labour and delivery ward was so happy and cheerful. The nurses and doctors all seemed so full of Christmas spirit. All of the room doors were decorated, lights hanging from the doorways, Christmas trees in the hallways. The ambiance was incredible. He truly was the best gift ever that Christmas.

Am I worried that his birthday will be overshadowed by Christmas? Absolutely not. He'll still get a birthday party and birthday presents (Not wrapped in Christmas paper as thats a huge pet peeve of mine). We treat his birthday just like any other birthday in our family regardless of the season. Did you know that December babies are actually considered "rare"? Less babies are born in December than any other month! That's pretty special if you ask me :)


So please stop with the negative comments. If you're having or already have a baby on/near the holidays don't fret! It truly is the most magical, wonderful time of the year.

Do you have a Christmas baby? What are some of your birthday traditions? I'd love to heard from you!





No comments